There is a lot of advice that can be given on selling things, but for now we’ll talk about the top 8 tips on how to sell stuff you no longer need. At least once a year, it’s a great idea to go through your things and get rid of the stuff you just don’t need any longer.
How To Sell Stuff That you Don’t Use
One way to get rid of your stuff is to sell it to others. There are lots of ways to sell items these days, both online and off. Let’s go over a few ideas.
#1 Places to List
- You can list your items online with sites like eBay, thredUP.com, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace.
- The biggest thing to remember here is to take good photos and list all the specifics about the product that the buyer may ask about.
- Look at some other listings to find out how it looks when a listing is complete, then try to replicate that.
#2 Local Places to List
- Consignment stores, swap meets, pop ups, used book stores, and charity shops are good places to sell or give away the items you no longer need. If you have tried to sell something but no one will buy it, give it away. The space you save is well worth it.
#3 Price the Items Right
- The main thing about selling your used stuff that you no longer need is to price the items just right.
- You don’t want to price them so low that you cut your profit, and you don’t want to price things so high that nobody wants them because they can’t afford the stuff.
#4 Be Willing to Negotiate
- When you price your item, price it slightly higher than you want to make.
- Have a number in mind that is your lowest price for items so that when people try to negotiate a discount you can profit.
#5 Clean the Item
- Make the item as clean as possible so that it is just like new. Even get it professionally cleaned and keep the receipt.
- When people know that you care for an item, they will pay a lot more for it.
#6 Take Good Photos
- Take photos from all different types of angles so that the person who wants it won’t need to ask for more pictures. Make sure you have good lighting.
- Even if you are using your smartphone, lighting makes a huge difference. If you are having issues with lighting, take the pictures outside in really bright sunlight.
#7 Create a Detailed Description
- When you describe the item, you’ll want to be very detailed. Tell them the size, dimensions, and any potential issues with the item.
- For example, if the color looks slightly different in the picture, be honest about that in your description.
#8 Create Batches
- If you have several of one thing in different colors, itís going to get more attention than if you are only selling one, no matter where you list it.
- For example, listing an entire lot of plus-sized outfits will take less time, and you can make more money.
When you get responses, be willing to communicate in the manner the buyer wants to talk to you. Some people prefer text messages and others prefer the cell. Do not be stuck on your method if you want to sell quickly. And, as always, please be safe.